Attractions: A dirt road connecting from Leavenworth to the Blewett Pass Road passing through nice forests and with expansive views of town and Icicle Canyon. Technically easy but with some sustained uphills, this is a good ride for beginning mountain bikers to develop skills and to gauge their fitness. Do this ride with either a mountain bike or a cross bike.
Skill: 1 (beginner)
Fitness: 2 (intermediate)
Distance: 17 miles. Elevation gain 1,500 vertical feet.
Access: From the east end of the town of Leavenworth turn south on East Leavenworth Road. Within 100 yards Mountain Home Road takes off to the left. Starting elevation:1180 feet. Set the odometer to zero here.
- 0.3 miles Road turns from pavement to dirt/gravel
- 2.5 miles. Pass Mountain Home Lodge
- 3.5 miles. End of county road
- 4.3 miles. Big views of Leavenworth and Icicle Canyon
- 6.1 miles. Col. Highpoint of ride (2700 feet). Turning right goes to Wedge Mtn. Turning left goes on spur road 7300-500. Go straight and start dropping.
- 9.5 miles. Hit pavement at an elevation of 1430 feet. You can return by either retracing the route (far less traffic) or using paved roads and highways for the return (much less climbing but considerable traffic). To use paved roads, turn left.
- 9.6 miles Hit the main highway (Highway 97). Turn left. Good shoulder for safe riding.
- 13.6 miles. Reach the Highway 2 interchange. You’ll pass under Highway 2 and then turn left to return to Leavenworth along the highway. Staying on Highway 2 is the shortest return route (3.5 miles) but this section of highway is busy and narrow. We recommend riding Highway 2 to a stoplight light at Peshastin, crossing the bridge into Peshastin and riding Main Street a third of a mile to a T intersection. Go left on North Road and ride 4.5 miles to the Chumstick Highway (Highway 209), turn left and go 0.5 miles to the junction of Highway 2 on the east end of of Leavenworth. To return to East Leavenworth Road where our instructions started, go left. To go into downtown Leavenworth, go right.
- 17 to 19.5 (depending on route used in last step). Back in Leavenworth.
Leave It Better than You Found It. This should be every user’s goal. Pick up trash left by others, pull noxious weeds along your route, etc.
Disclaimer. Treat this information as recommendations, not gospel. Conditions change and those contributing these reports are volunteers–they may make mistakes or not know all the issues affecting a route. You are responsible for yourself, your actions, and your safety. If you won’t accept that responsibility, you are prohibited from using our information.