Attractions: An intermediate ride that climbs efficiently on dirt roads and that sees very little use. The route provides nice views of Middle Shaser Canyon, the surrounding mountains, and the Enchantments. Throw in a little bushwhacking for exploratory measure and a fast descent, and this makes an enjoyable short ride.
Skill: 2 (intermediate)
Fitness: 2 (intermediate)
Access: Park on Old Blewett Pass Road, just off Highway 97 (Blewett Pass Highway). From the Highway 2/97 ‘Y Junction’, drive south on 97 for about 12-1/2 miles, to about half a mile past the 73-mile marker. Bear off the highway to the right, where a sign indicates ‘Old Blewett Pass Highway’. Cross the bridge over Peshastin Creek and park off the pavement at any of the turnouts within the next half mile.
Trip Description: The following distances are approximate, your mileage may vary. Elevations are much more reliable.
- Mile 0.0 / 2550′. Old Blewett Pass Road, continue south along pavement.
- Mile0.5 +/- 2580′. Right Turn across bridge and onto dirt road (NF #7322).
- Mile 1.0 / 2650′. Y in road. Bear left and continue uphill on South Shaser Creek road #200 (do not take road to right, which is gated and continues along North Shaser Creek and with turnoff to Iron Mountain saddle– both excellent rides).
- Mile 1.5 / 2800′. Continue straight ahead on Road 200. Do NOT take road which hairpins off to the right.
- Mile 2.5 /3100′. Right Turn onto Middle Shaser Creek Road # 230.
- Mile 4.2 / 3800′. Road 230 bends left, where side road continues straight and dead-ends in about a mile. Stay on 230, which flattens for about a half mile before resuming to climb.
- Mile 5.7 / 4400′. Road 230 makes horseshoe bend to right.
- Mile 5.9 / 4550′. Left turn onto unmarked side road, which climbs sharply.
- Mile 6.2 /4700′. Road ends. Dismount and push or carry bike cross-country, along sidehill which slopes down to the east (to your left), keeping in a generally southerly direction (same direction as the road you just came off, more or less).
- Mile 6.5 /4700′. Left turn onto County Line Trail # 1226. Continue downhill on single track.
- Mile 6.7 / 4500′. Straight ahead onto County Line Road.
- Mile 7.6 / 4150′. Road junction. Keep to left.
- Mile 7.7 / 4150′. Left turn onto South Shaser Road # 200. NOTE: For optional side trip, turn right and ride to Old Blewett Pass Road (about 1 mile, elev 4064′) with views of Mt. Rainier along the way.
- Mile 11.0 / 2650′. Junction Road # 7322. Stay right.
- Mile 11.5 / 2580′. Old Blewett Pass Road. Turn left.
- Mile 12.0 / 2550′. The End.
Permits: None needed.
Land Ownership: Mainly Forest Service.
Map: USGS 7.5-minute series: Blewett, Wa and Liberty, Wa
Leave It Better than You Found It. This should be every user’s goal. Pick up trash left by others, pull noxious weeds along your route, throw branches over unwanted spur trails, etc.
Disclaimer. Treat this information as recommendations, not gospel. Conditions change and those contributing these reports are volunteers–they may make mistakes or not know all the issues affecting a route. You are responsible for yourself, your actions, and your safety. If you won’t accept that responsibility, you are prohibited from using our information.