Attractions: Mixed scenery– orchard lands, forests, views over the Columbia and out to the Cascades.
Distance: 15.8 miles (short version) or 22.8 miles (long version)
Skill: 1 (beginner) plus
Fitness: 2 (intermediate) plus
Elevation: Starting elevation 720 feet, ending elevation 2660 feet, 1940 feet total gain
- For the shorter version of this ride, drive south out of Wenatchee following the Columbia River on the Malaga Alcoa Highway. At the highway’s 3-mile mark, turn right on the Stemilt Creek Road. Drive .2 miles and park in a large pullout on the left (south) side of the road.
- For the longer version of the ride, park at Lincoln Park at the intersection of Crawford and Methow streets in Wenatchee. From here, bicycle east (downhill) on Crawford Street about .25 miles to the Malaga Alcoa Highway, turn right and then ride 3 miles to Stemilt Creek Road.
- Ride 3 miles uphill. At a Y with the Stemilt Hill Rd, stay right on the Stemilt Creek Road. (You could also drive to this Y for a shorter ride).
- In another 2.25 miles, the road bends left and turns to dirt. Follow the dirt road as it climbs quite steeply for another 1.2 miles.
- At a stop sign marking the intersection with the paved Stemilt Loop Road, turn left (a right turn leads to the Wenatchee Heights Road in about 5 miles).
- After another 3.8 miles, you will reach an intersection with a little community church on the right (for a shorter ride follow the Stemilt Hill Rd back to the Y mentioned earlier). Turn right on Joe Miller Road and follow it on a fun, twisting descent for 2.5 miles.
- Go left on Hamlin and drop another 1.2 miles.
- Turn left on West Malaga Road and go 1.25 miles.
- Turn left and follow the Malaga Alcoa Highway for .5 miles.
- Turn left on the Stemilt Creek Road and go .2 miles back to the car.
Recommended Season: Mid-April to mid-May when the fruit trees are in blossom or autumn
Uses Allowed: Biking, running, walking, motorized use
Hazards: Some traffic, especially along the highway (shoulder is good).
Land Designation: Public roads. There are dirt roads accessing public lands about .75 miles after turning onto the Stemilt Loop Road. You can also access Jumpoff Road (leading into the Colockum Wildlife Area) 1.75 miles after turning onto Stemilt Loop Road.
Maps: USGS 7.5-minute quads: Wenatchee Heights and Malaga.
Trip Reporter: Andy Dappen, 5/05
Leave It Better than You Found It. This should be every user’s goal. Pick up trash left by others, pull noxious weeds along your route, throw branches over unwanted spur trails, etc.
Disclaimer. Treat this information as recommendations, not gospel. Conditions change and those contributing these reports are volunteers–they may make mistakes or not know all the issues affecting a route. You are responsible for yourself, your actions, and your safety. If you won’t accept that responsibility, you are prohibited from using our information.