Looking for more instruction and safety practice after taking the 1-Day Beginner/Refresher course? Join this class to learn more paddlesport safety techniques and gain river knowledge specific to the Columbia River with expert hands-on instruction. Take your paddling up a level with this course.
About the Event
$125/person for WRPC members and non-members.
Designed to emphasize safety, enjoyment and skill acquisition as a beginner/intermediate for kayakers (traditional decked kayaks, inflatables and site-on-tops), canoers and SUPers. Rowers are welcome and encouraged to attend, although the course will not cover rowing maneuvers. Designed to teach paddlers to safely and enjoyably paddle on gentle rivers.
Topics the course will cover:
· Refresh/review of the 1-day Beginner course topics
· Paddling Environment: Wind, Waves, Weather, Water
· Preparing to Depart: care of equipment, personal equipment review, paddle types
· River Reading: current, volume, direction, eddies, bends, strainers & sieves, cold water, dams, changes from streambed features
· Maneuvers: paddle strokes, practicing maneuvering the kayak or craft, spins, stopping, turns, veering, abeam, sideslips
· Safety and Rescue basics: rescue priorities, exercising judgment, rescue equipment, responsibilities of group, self-rescue, group rescue, towing a kayak or assisting a paddler to shore
· Safety Practice: exit the craft after capsize, rescue self and boat using an effective self-rescue technique, rescue a person in the water and capsized kayak, perform assisted rescues, perform assisted re-entry
Taught by the dynamic American Canoe Association (ACA) L4 Certified Instructor, Heather Herbeck, who has over 18 years of flatwater and whitewater kayaking experience and over 12 years of coaching experience. The American Canoe Association (ACA) has one of the best established paddlesport instruction programs anywhere in the world. The courses are comprehensive, but allow enough flexibility for individual teaching and paddling styles. Come enjoy this opportunity to improving your understanding of paddling technique and theory, so you can paddle more efficiently, confidently and safely.
Reach out with questions and sign up today!7
Leave a Reply