Wenatchee Row and Paddle Club presents:
Learn and practice the basics for safe paddling on the Columbia. This beginner/refresher course will provide you with safety and rescue experience, technical knowledge, and skill development.
Jul 23, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM PDT
About the Event
$35/person for WRPC members. $125/person for non-members.
Designed to emphasize safety, enjoyment and skill acquisition as a beginner or refresher course for kayakers (traditional decked kayaks, inflatables and site-on-tops), canoers and SUPers. Rowers are welcome and will be able to practice wet exits, re-entry and inflatable PFD use, however this course will not cover rowing maneuvers.
Topics the course will cover:
· Preparing to Depart: conditions, hazards, judgment, equipment, warm up, boat transportation, safety equipment, boat inspection
· Maneuvers: boat entry, paddle strokes, playing games to have fun with strokes and skills, practicing maneuvering the kayak or craft
· Technical Knowledge: reviewing equipment, terminology, care of boat, review dangers, how to avoid cold water shock, on-water communication, hydration, communication signals, basic navigational rules, water management techniques, paddling best practices
· Safety and Rescue basics: rescue priorities, rescue equipment, responsibilities of group, self-rescue, group rescue, towing a kayak or assisting a paddler to shore
· Exiting the craft after capsize, rescue self and boat using an effective self-rescue technique, rescue a person in the water and capsized kayak, perform assisted rescues, perform assisted re-entry
Taught by the dynamic American Canoe Association (ACA) L4 Certified Instructor, Heather Herbeck, who has over 18 years of flatwater and whitewater kayaking experience and over 15 years of coaching experience. The American Canoe Association (ACA) has one of the best established paddlesport instruction programs anywhere in the world. The courses are comprehensive, but allow enough flexibility for individual teaching and paddling styles. Come enjoy this opportunity to improving your understanding of paddling technique and theory, so you can paddle more efficiently, confidently and safely.
Reach out with questions and sign up today! Registration will close once classes are at capacity.