by Sarah Shaffer
Is it just me or does this month feel a bit underwhelming? The weather has been less than ideal with the mix of freezing rain, snow, rain and melting snow. Our family tried to build a snowman a few days back and it lasted less than 24 hours before losing eyeballs, its mouth and losing weight around its middle. Not to mention the snow was filled with dirt and goose poop. With less than wonderful snow conditions, it can make it a bit tricky to figure out what activities to do or what trails to hit up. Here are my recommendations for this month of funky weather.
- Hit up the ski resorts, Mission Ridge and Stevens Pass. The resorts have the ability to make snow so, if need be, use the groomed runs and have some fun.
- Fat bike riding will be fun on certain trails in Squilchuck and Leavenworth. Winter biking is quite weather dependent so watch the conditions.
- Head to higher elevations to chase the snow for snowshoeing and skiing. Pay attention to avalanche conditions when heading into the backcountry.
- Nordic skiing may be doable, but check the conditions at Lake Wenatchee, Leavenworth or Plain to know before you go. For options farther afield, check conditions in the Methow Valley where temperatures are typically 10 degrees colder than the Wenatchee Valley.
- When in doubt and if the roads are clear, hit the dirt roads and pavement for some outdoor fun. Rock Island Grade would be doable on a bike, the loop trail for some running and walking, the Waterville Plateau, the Stemilt Creek Loop for bike riding, the road ride from Wenatchee to Leavenworth. These are all options with this kind of weather, just bundle up and watch for freezing rain.
For some indoor activity during the funky weather, check your gear to see what needs repair. A sewing machine makes many more difficult issues (blown seams, tears needing patches, zipper replacements) possible, but many lesser problems can be managed with needle and thread, an arsenal of glues, and different kinds of tapes. More here.
This post was originally published on 1/29/2020 and was updated on 12/27/2022.